Bad parenting gone awry
A bad day. A very bad day. It started off bad, but it only got worse from there. We'll just note that it ended (the day ended at about 2PM...that's when I cut my losses and let the day be over. Everything after that occurred in some sort of time warp which was not claimed by any day) with me fishing my son out of a supply closet in the Y where he had climbed to the very back and perched on some huge piece of gymnastics equipment.

What prompted all this drama? The girls won. Can you believe it? The girls won! And I'm supposed to be completely sympathetic to the ensuing tantrum, pushing and running off to hide in a supply closet. Because that's how we all act when the girls win, right?

So my son has issues. I already knew that. It's why we approach this whole social interaction thing a little cautiously. But in the car as I'm finding out that he was told he couldn't participate next session, he informs that is OK.

I took it as a bit of defiance. A bit of "I don't care, I don't want to participate anyway" type of thing, but no....not my son.
"They'll forget about it by then so I'll be able to participate anyway."
He was rather dismayed when I informed him that I would make sure that wouldn't happen. I had just marked myself as the enemy and his six year old fury came out in a huff and a grunt and crossed arms because he couldn't really think of anything to say. And there is no place to go when you are buckled in your seat belt.

For some reason, I find what boundaries a child will not cross rather amusing. Like the kid in the cartoon walking around the block with his suitcase. Running away, but not allowed to cross the street.

Anyway, I had to run into the grocery store after this, and was seriously weighing the annoyance of late fines against the impending doom that bringing this tempest into the store seemed to guarantee.
"What are we doing here?" He asked in a most unpleasant and accusatory voice.
"What are you thinking about getting?" My Mouse asked.
"I'm thinking about putting Bear in the blood pressure cuff and leaving him stuck there while we go shopping."
Now where on Earth did that come from? It barely popped into my mind before it popped out of my mouth and then I started thinking about how to take it back.

Except that when I looked into the rear view mirror, Bear was rolling in his seat with laughter. Apparently the image of him floundering in the chair caught by his arm in the blood pressure cuff was more than he could take.

I just lay my head against the steering wheel and in the midst of my frustration was thankful for one rare free pass to a bad parent moment.