A Microsoft Moment
It is so nice to be here in my made-over blog in its new home on the internet. I must have visited it 15 times today, just to see it and say hi.

Yeah, I'm a little weird like that.

Still not sure how exactly the pursuit of a layered template led to both a new title and a new url. Except that I was searching for some quotes to maybe put on tags for my sidebar when I came across a quote from The House on Pooh Corner.
"Christopher Robin was home by this time, because it was the afternoon, and he was so glad to see them that they stayed there until very nearly tea-time, and then they had a Very Nearly tea, which is one you forget about afterwards, and hurried on to Pooh Corner, so as to see Eeyore before it was too late to have a Proper Tea with Owl."
And I love Pooh Bear. And I love tea. And I so identified with that Very Nearly tea that Christopher Robin had, what with all the cups of tea I have drunk and forgotten about.

There are few disappointments quite like distractedly reaching for your tea cup and finding it empty. Except that the disappointment can be rather easily relieved by taking it as a cue to make more tea.

It isn't quite like that in parenting, however. Sure, I distractedly go through many of our conversations and activities. But when you realize the moment is over, you can't so easily recreate it. There is no kettle to put on to boil while the scent of fresh tea leaves wafts upward from your waiting cup. Life cannot be repeated so simply.

And thus came about a new title. A new url. And a new pleasure at spending a little of my day over here .

From Sunday's impulsive switch to today, however, was not so pleasant. The instructions Blogger gave me were simple enough. Choose a domain name, pay and wait. Seemed doable, and the prospect of not having to wait was rather nice as well. After all, up to three days does not mean three days. And the little video even indicated that the change may take effect immediately.

But nothing is so simple in life. After a few days, I began to think perhaps Blogger was leading me on with its deceptively simple instructions. So I read them again. And again. And again. They revealed no new mysteries. I checked my settings. Again. And Again. And again. They persisted in telling me I was publishing to a custom domain. Everything looked fine.

All else had failed, so I sought help in a forum. The nice people there didn't help much, but they tried. While waiting for clarification from one person who seemed to maybe know what he was talking about, I looked at my settings again.

Then I had a Microsoft Moment.

I thought of all the computer problems which are fixed by simply shutting down the program and starting again. I thought of a humorous little piece on how Microsoft would revolutionize the automobile industry.
3. Occasionally, your car would die for NO apparent reason and you would have to restart it. Strangely, you would just accept this as normal.
And so I pressed the little button inviting me to go back to a .blogspot address. And then pressed the little button asking me to publish to a custom domain.

VoilĂ ! My site was instantaneously at its new domain.

The nice thing about parenting, however, is that you do have that reset button. No, you can't relive a moment you weren't paying attention to. And you can't take back the mistakes. But you can hit reset.
  • You can stop what you are doing.
  • You can give everyone space to calm down.
  • You can select an activity to help everyone refocus and re-energize.
  • You can forgive and ask to be forgiven.
Unfortunately, stubborn me tends to just press on rather than choosing to shut down all operations in order to reboot. Just look at how long it took me to try it with my blog.