A meme, whilst I sort out my template issues...
Shawna tagged me with this earlier in the week, so here is the Eight Things About Me Meme that is going around.
Rules:

Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

1. When I first started blogging, I saw all these memes going around and thought they were really neat. I so desperately wanted to be tagged. I was so excited to get my first one. In fact, here it is from my old HSB account that is still there as inactive as it is.

2. Then I got a flood of them. I realized that these things can quickly take over your blog and give you no time to write about what you want to write about.

3. People began declaring their blogs "no tag zones." I couldn't quite bring myself to do that, because I did sort of like taking part now and again. But I suddenly realized it just wasn't that big of a deal to ignore the tag. People weren't going to stop talking to me because I never got around to their tag questions.

4. See how much of a "people pleaser" I can be? I never turned down extra work in school or my professional life, often volunteering for it when no one asked. About the worst thing I can imagine is not living up to someone's expectations of me.

5. In the fifth grade, I overheard my mother tell her friend that it was frustrating sometimes that I would volunteer to bring things for class parties and such. I knew we were poor and didn't have a lot of money, but had never considered this as potentially contributing hardship to my family.

6. That day I had volunteered to bring something for a class party, but hadn't told my mother, yet. I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. So I walked down to the store with some money I had received (birthday?) and bought several bags of salt water taffy. I don't know why I didn't want to say anything. I hid it in the closet after counting it out and figuring I had enough to give everyone two pieces.

7. My mother found it and I got in trouble for wasting my money in this fashion. I don't remember the consequence, but I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach. She had eaten some and now I was three pieces short. So I asked my best friend if she would mind not having one.

8. Should my mom happen to read this entry, it will be the first time she ever knew anything of my side of the story. Which I suppose says something about me, as well, but I'm not sure exactly what.

9. I'm not real good at sticking with the rules with these things. Hence the fact that you did not really get eight distinct pieces of information about me, and a number nine here that asks you to consider yourself tagged if you wish. I'll add your link if you let me know you participated!