Easy (homeschooling) Question Number 1
A new blog by the Alliance for the Separation of School and State asks:
I don’t want my children fed or clothed by the state, but if I had to choose, I would prefer that to their being educated by the state. – Max Victor Belz
Agree or disagree?

The quote draws an interesting comparison. I think things are beginning to change, but at least at one time, I think most people would have agreed with the first half of this quote without having to think about it. Who wants a handout from the state? My parents qualified for food stamps when I was a kid, but they chose not to apply, more out of pride than anything, I think. There is a stigma attached to receiving government services, and allowing the state to take over in the most basic aspects of child rearing implies that the parent is not fully capable of caring for that child.

Why is it any different with education? Why is it assumed that the state provided education is the standard which all other forms must live up to?

It reminds me of another, much older, quote.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.--Mat 10:28
Food and clothing from the state cannot on its own do harm to the recipient. Yes, there is a culture of dependency which often accompanies these services, but I would argue even that has more to do with the education of children raised in these environments as well as the messages we are continually being given. Education touches at the soul of the child. As Webster's 1828 defines it, education is:
The bringing up, as of a child, instruction; formation of manners. Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, arts and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties.
It is an immense responsibility, and it should not be turned over lightly.

I'll tackle question #2 tomorrow.

via Grizzly Mama

Related Tags: , ,