Cooking and simple fractions
One of the nice things about having a baby is all the wonderful meals people prepare for you. My children love the fact that means dessert almost every night: cookies, jello, brownies, cake, etc. Yesterday, we had a Stouffer's lasagna. As I glanced over the cooking instructions, I couldn't help but wonder what it meant for the future of our nation that the company felt the need to include this:
A portioning guide with instructions on how to cut? This requires only the most basic of mathematical reasoning. I think my daughter could figure it out, although her knowledge of fractions is limited. My husband thought it could be improved by adding little doted lines to the lasagna itself (in food coloring) to guide the knife.

I wanted to cut it in equal triangles, just to be different. Or defiant. I can be that way, too.

It reminds me of a description of an educated person by John Taylor Gatto. Number 6 was:
An educated person possesses useful knowledge
Like being able to figure out how to portion a lasagna at the very least?

We don't normally divide our portions equally, anyway. How many other ways are there to cut a lasagna?

Related Tags: , ,