Blogging and Homeschooling: interesting links
Some links for your perusal:

Carnival:

First off, I almost forgot to mention the current Carnival of Education. This is an excellent assortment of articles from across the "edusphere."

Blog fun:

For those with Firefox, you might notice that when you visit Principled Discovery, I now have a little icon which pops up in your search bar. Isn't that cool? I just needed to make sure that someone actually noticed. (Just kidding). Should anyone be so inclined to add this bit of senseless fun to their blog, just go here and follow the directions.

I also figured out how to make my own random button. I'm not sure where to put it, but for the purposes of playing with it, it is located just to the right in my sidebar, under the Recent Posts section. There are only 13 blogs in it right now. I fear that the amount of code will significantly slow down how long it takes my page to load, but if I decide I like my random button, I will tweak its look a little and find a nice place for it to call home. (And add the rest of the blogs I read.) I think it will be a lot more fun than Blogger's random button which has never lead me to a blog I actually wanted to read.

StumbleUpon also amounts to an amazing random button. If you have never heard of it, go to their site and sign up. Ironically, I could not get it to work in Firefox (it is a Firefox add-on). But everything worked as I would have expected in Internet Explorer. (Thanks to Scribbit for trying to walk me through it!) Anyway, as you surf, you can recommend sites, and they will be added to the list of random sites that the "Start Stumbling" button will bring you and other readers to. It can be a little addictive because you start thinking, "Just one more," and before you know it, another hour has been wasted. Be wise, but enjoy. I have found a number of wonderful websites since joining. Should you join, look for me. My ID is gottsegnet.

Homeschool Resources
Found via StumbleUpon:

Earth Album This site integrates a google map with Flickr. Click on a location and it will bring up a slide show of pictures tagged with that location. A stunning introduction to a new country. The map is a bit general, but if you are looking for something specific (like Ayer's Rock), you can click on the appropriate country, and then add that to the keyword box and it will bring up a new slide show of that area or feature.

For some history and geography, try this application. You'll need to download Google Earth. (HT Connecting the Dots)

Molecular Expressions Start 10 million light years from earth and move toward Earth in successive orders of magnitude. You end up looking at the internal workings of a single atom. There is a lot more to the site, but that is about as far as I have gotten so far.

I think we prefer stellarium, but Sky Map is also very interesting. There is nothing to download in order to explore this virtual night sky. It has a number of features, including some space photography.

An historic map of the history of language. This map doesn't have any great interactive features, but I have brought up linguistics and the history of language here a few times. Some of you may know that these things always catch my eye. On a similar note, I may as well share a site I visit frequently while preparing lessons, and occasionally while preparing posts. The Online Etymological dictionary.


Blogs:

I also found a couple of new blogs I'll be keeping up with. I am not sure how many (if any) of my readers are from Nebraska, but The Beatrice Fiddler has just begun a blog specific to Nebraska. The blog looks off to a pretty good start. I remember when I first started...PrincipledMom got me started, and she probably regrets it now, but oh well. Talking to the silence of the internet can seem pretty lonely at first, but I have found it worthwhile in the end.

Found via The Beatrice Fiddler is Go Big Ed. One would think I would have read this site before, but alas it shall be a new read for me. Don't let the name fool you. For anyone outside Cornhusker territory, the blog's name has more to do with the football team than her education proposals. From what I've read, Susan's basic philosophy seems quite similar to mine. Locally controlled, locally funded and diverse.

Funny enough to share
A postal experiment

Related Tags: , , ,