Joyous Announcement
I've decided to share bits and pieces of our recent vacation over time, hopefully with some pictures and preferably with some sort of a point over the next several days rather than provide a listing of everything we did and saw over the last two weeks. One event overshadows all others, so I suppose that would be a reasonable place to begin.

In our little KOA campground in San Antonio, TX, a growing suspicion was confirmed that we are expecting another addition to our little clan. This may be number four, but the wonder is no less than it was with the first. Today, we showed our daughter some pictures of the development of the tiny baby and an approximation of what the little guy looks like now. The photograph at left, taken by University of Minnesota medical photographer Robert Wolfe, shows the developing baby at approximately six weeks. This was taken in 1972 after surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

I find these small glimpses at what is happening inside fascinating and awe inspiring. I am reminded of Jeremiah 1:5:
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee...
They also remind me of another aspect of creation which bears the fingerprint of God, and calls forth memories of the first images I saw of deep space. To truly understand the wonder and awe I felt at these photographs as they came in from the Hubble Telescope, one probably would also have to understand how deep my love for astronomy is, especially back in my youth when I stayed up all night to catch certain constellations, to view a planet or to see a meteorite shower. Magnificent beauty that surrounds us, yet we see only slight evidence of it in the evening sky. Like the tell-tale signs of pregnancy hinting at developments within.

On South Padre, we took a dolphin watch tour with a local scientist who was studying the wild dolphins in the Laguna Madre. She said something interesting that I had never thought of which gave me some pause for reflection. Dolphins gather information from their surrounding through sonar. The sound waves they emit and receive ignore water and see through the tissues of their prey and other objects in the ocean. They also "see" through each other and are quite aware of the developing dolphin within a pregnant female. So at the dolphin's birth, the newest member of the pod is already known to its community, having been seen through multiple "sonograms." Imagine how different our society's views on the significance of our smallest and most defenseless members might change if we so easily could watch their earliest development.

Related Tags: