The insanity of Itsy Bitsy
I was raised with the itsy bitsy spider as a role model for perseverance. The plucky little spider may get washed away by a rain storm, but she will not be discouraged. While reciting this popular nursery rhyme with my daughter (2), however, my son (4) gave me new insight into the true mental state of Itsy Bitsy.
Son: That's dumb.

Me: What's dumb?

Son: The spider. Doesn't it know it will get washed out again in the next rain?
My education taught me that doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results was perseverance. Others have said it is the definition of insanity.

Perhaps the spider should have learned from her experience and not be held up for her "perserverance?"

And maybe our school system should stop trying to do the same things harder in order to get different results. Of course that could be said about a lot of things. Who else is spinning webs in drain spouts, expecting anything other than getting washed away in the next rain?