2,996 A Tribute to 9/11, A Tribute to Maria Behr
September 11, 2001. A series of terrorist attacks left the citizens of the United States of America shocked, afraid and determined. Many people put together memorials for loved ones, and for strangers to show how much they cared and how deeply these events touched their lives. I was a first grade teacher at the time and had to set aside normal lesson plans for a day to help the children process what had happened through our own memorial. Blogger Dale Roe has put together this memorial honoring each of the 2,996 victims of 9/11 through an individual blog post by volunteer bloggers across the internet.

This entry is dedicated to Maria Behr of Milford, New Jersey, a securities trader for Cantor Fitzgerald. She died at the age of 41 in the World Trade Center. She attended Bishop McDevvitt High School in Harrisburg, PA and participated in choir and drama. Friends look fondly to their memories of her in high school, and describe her as ambitious and bright. They note that her dreams were achieved. The class of 1978 set up a Maria Behr Memorial Scholarship Fund to help eighth grade students from Holy Family attend Bishop McDevitt high school. She had close friends who think of her every time they have a glass of good wine and people who met her only once and remember her generosity in giving their children a kitten. They note character traits instilled by her parents to her and her brother, George...dignity, kindness, integrity, and respect for others. Friend Lisa left this entry for her, which seems to express what all those paying respects had to say:
I met Maria when I was at a crossroads in my life. You were an inspiration to me, an example of what I could achieve if I had belief in myself and plenty of persistence. You had a wicked sense of humour, a keen enjoyment of life's pleasures. You could hold your own with any man and you were as sharp and savvy a person as I have ever met. Yet you were also such a nuturing and caring person, qualities I saw in you at your home in Milford, NJ. I know you wanted children and I am sorry that never happened for you. You had a lot to offer a child. I feel sure you are now watching over your nieces and nephews, loving and protecting them as always.
I was unable to find a picture of Maria, but here is a gallery of quilt blocks made in honor of the 9/11 victims by United in Memory. You can search for Maria's block...it is a beautiful, traditional quilt block pattern.

The information I was able to find is limited in that most memorial sites contained only lists of names. A few had guest books with comments. If you knew Maria and would like to share about her, please leave a comment or send me an email. Thank you.

To view more tributes to the victims of 9/11, check this list. You can also surf the webring of memorials and tributes at the bottom of this page. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to put it in my side bar or this entry, but if you scroll to the bottom of the page, it is there.

Related Tags: